xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XOM 1.0 alpha 1 is here

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Michael Abato <mrabato AT earthlink.net>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XOM 1.0 alpha 1 is here
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 08:25:54 -0400

At 3:25 PM -0400 6/8/04, Michael Abato wrote:

I would favor looking for system property "javax.servlet.context.tempdir" (which implies you are in a servlet container) and respecting a user-set system property like "nu.xom.no-verify-XML1_0". Other known containers could be added as "signals" are identified. Does anyone know a good EJB signal?

The problem is XOM needs to do this. Not performing verification is not an option I'm comfortable with. The code assumes the parser has verified XML 1.0 well-formedness, and the only way to make current versions of Xerces do this is to set that system property to point to my own parser configuration. I filed the bug report you referenced to try to let me do this just for XOM's parser without stepping all over everyone else's parsers, but so far I can't see how to do that.

Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)