xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XOM API stability

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "John Cowan" <jcowan AT reutershealth.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XOM API stability
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 16:05:47 -0500

At 2:35 PM -0500 11/12/03, John Cowan wrote:

The rationale behind the latest set of changes were to help interoperability
in the face of possible content negotiation going on behind the scenes.
By providing ways to set the HTTP headers, we make it less likely that
one will retrieve the SVG rather than the XHTML view of a document, say,
if both are available at the same URL.

That's not so much of a problem. The xpointer attribute and the new namespace URI are problems, not insurmountable by any means, but big enough that I'm worried about what else may change in the future. I had thought the CR was pretty solid. Now I'm a lot less confident.

Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)