xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XOM API stability

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: "John Cowan" <jcowan AT reutershealth.com>
  • To: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XOM API stability
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:35:08 -0500

Elliotte Rusty Harold scripsit:

> 1. XInclude may be deleted from the API, at least from the supported
> part. Possibly I'll move it into the samples. The latest working
> draft has made me seriously question its stability, and I'm not sure
> I want to bake it into the core of XOM until there's a stable spec
> out there.

I think XInclude should be moved out for the same reason that Canonical
XML was: not everyone wants it.

The rationale behind the latest set of changes were to help interoperability
in the face of possible content negotiation going on behind the scenes.
By providing ways to set the HTTP headers, we make it less likely that
one will retrieve the SVG rather than the XHTML view of a document, say,
if both are available at the same URL.

--
First known example of political correctness: John Cowan
"After Nurhachi had united all the other http://www.reutershealth.com