xom-interest - [XOM-interest] Canonical XML in core?

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Wolfgang Hoschek <whoschek AT lbl.gov>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] Canonical XML in core?
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 07:35:19 -0500

At 11:43 PM -0800 11/9/03, Wolfgang Hoschek wrote:

- Suggestion: A package that contains a single public class only seems to me a little like overkill: increases complexity with little gain in modularity. Hence, move nu.xom.canonical.* --> nu.xom.*
This would make it easier to learn (less packages) and not significantly less modular (affects one class only).

I look at it from the other direction. Keeping CanonicalXMLSerializer out of nu.xom makes the core package API simpler. It makes it obvious that you don't need to understand this class unless you have a specific need for it.

Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)