xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Make DOMConverter methods public?

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Wolfgang Hoschek <whoschek AT lbl.gov>
  • To: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Make DOMConverter methods public?
  • Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 23:43:12 -0800

Thanks!
- The specific application here is to run an XQuery over Saxon, then convert the DOM results to XOM.
An unchecked exception seems sensible, but I could also live well with null or a check exception.

- By the way, what is the current status of your thinking on how to better support getting a builder with the "right" features? I submitted a proposal, but it did not seem good enough. See thread starting at

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/xom-interest/2003-October/000753.html

- Suggestion: A package that contains a single public class only seems to me a little like overkill: increases complexity with little gain in modularity. Hence, move nu.xom.canonical.* --> nu.xom.*
This would make it easier to learn (less packages) and not significantly less modular (affects one class only).

- While we are at it, are there plans further down the road to integrate XPath? Perhaps more directly than the code recently checked into the jaxen CVS...

Thanks for your considerations,
Wolfgang.