xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Make DOMConverter methods public?

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Wolfgang Hoschek <whoschek AT lbl.gov>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Make DOMConverter methods public?
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 15:13:25 -0500

At 12:48 PM -0700 7/18/03, Wolfgang Hoschek wrote:

I tentatively made convert(Node) and convert(Element) public and added a public convert(Attr) and it works fine for me.

I'm adding this into XOM now. This is hopefully the second to last API change before declaring XOM alpha quality (i.e. API freeze). One question came up:

What should convert(Attr) do with a DOM object that represents a namespace declaration? i.e. where the name is xmlns or xmlns:prefix? XOM does not represent such attributes as Attribute objects. Should convert throw an exception here or should it return null? Does anyone have a strong preference on this one way or the other?

Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)