xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] NFC serialization

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: "Francois Beausoleil" <fbos AT users.sourceforge.net>
  • To: "Elliotte Rusty Harold" <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>, xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] NFC serialization
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:14:36 -0400

Hello Elliotte !

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 14:11:05 -0400, "Elliotte Rusty Harold"
<elharo AT metalab.unc.edu> said:
> The next version of XOM will add an option to Serializer to perform
> Unicode normalization using normalization form C (as recommended by
> the W3C character model) on output. Given IBM's International Classes
> for Unicode, this was not especially hard to implement. This is
> controlled by these two methods:
>
> public void setNFC(boolean useNFC)
> public boolean getNFC()
>
> I am not, however, perfectly happy with the names for these methods.
> Would anyone care to suggest alternatives? I considered
> setUnicdoeNormalization and getUnicodeNormalization (or perhaps
> isUnicodeNormalizing), but that's not quite specific enough, because
> there are four Unicode normalization forms and I only intend to
> support NFC. Ideas?

setNFCUnicodeNormalization() and is NFCUnicodeNormalizing() maybe ?

> Also, what should happen when setNFC() is invoked on a serializer
> using a non-Unicode encoding, e.g. ISO-8859-1 or EBCDIC? Shoudl the
> serializer simply ignore the request, or should it throw some sort of
> exception? If so, which exception is appropriate here? Thoughts?

I believe a subclass RuntimeException is in order here. If the caller
requests a service, and it cannot be provided, this is some kind of
error. It should be documented though that this exception will be thrown
so that callers may catch it and retry if necessary.