xom-interest - [XOM-interest] NFC serialization

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] NFC serialization
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 14:11:05 -0400

The next version of XOM will add an option to Serializer to perform Unicode normalization using normalization form C (as recommended by the W3C character model) on output. Given IBM's International Classes for Unicode, this was not especially hard to implement. This is controlled by these two methods:

public void setNFC(boolean useNFC)
public boolean getNFC()

I am not, however, perfectly happy with the names for these methods. Would anyone care to suggest alternatives? I considered setUnicdoeNormalization and getUnicodeNormalization (or perhaps isUnicodeNormalizing), but that's not quite specific enough, because there are four Unicode normalization forms and I only intend to support NFC. Ideas?

Also, what should happen when setNFC() is invoked on a serializer using a non-Unicode encoding, e.g. ISO-8859-1 or EBCDIC? Shoudl the serializer simply ignore the request, or should it throw some sort of exception? If so, which exception is appropriate here? Thoughts?

Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)
http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA