xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] NFC serialization

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: John Cowan <cowan AT mercury.ccil.org>
  • To: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] NFC serialization
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 00:26:29 -0400

Elliotte Rusty Harold scripsit:

> Oh, I see. You're thinking of cases where the
> normalized character doesn't exist in the target
> character set, and therefore is output as a
> character reference and this character reference
> can be in two forms: normalized or unnormalized;
> and of course we want the normalized one. That
> makes sense.

Right. So in us-ascii, the string comes out "&#x00C1;b&#x0301;".

> Hmm, I do wonder if there are any legacy
> character sets where the set has the unnormalized
> form and not the normalized form.

A few: there are various codes "for bibliographic interchange" with
ISO numbers that have combining characters, except that the combining
characters come first not last, so e with acute is represented as
combining acute + e. But these have never been used on the open
Internet, and probably don't have any Java converters to worry about.
A sensible transcoder for these would have to do decomposition anyway.

In short, no problem.

--
We call nothing profound jcowan AT reutershealth.com
that is not wittily expressed. John Cowan