xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Remarks on 1.0d8 API

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Laurent Bihanic <laurent.bihanic AT atosorigin.com>
  • Cc: XOM-interest <XOM-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Remarks on 1.0d8 API
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 10:24:49 -0500

At 7:26 PM +0100 1/15/03, Laurent Bihanic wrote:

What bothers me more here is the behaviour of the methods getNamespaceDeclarationCount() and getNamespacePrefix(): they do not give access to the element and attributes namespaces.

I've thought about that. However, the real question is whether these methods should return namespaces in scope or namespaces declared. If it's namespaces in scope, then they need to return ancestor declared namespaces as well the attributes' and element's own namespaces. If it's namespaces declared, it may not include the attributes' and element's own namespaces, depending on whether those namespaces have previously been declared on some ancestor. Right now XOM is in the middle between those two.

I'm really not use what to do. Use-cases might help. Srrialization is the big one. What other use-cases are there, if any, for iterating through all of an element's namespaces? either declared or in-scope or additional?

| Elliotte Rusty Harold | elharo AT metalab.unc.edu | Writer/Programmer |
| Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002) |
| http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA |
| Read Cafe au Lait for Java News: http://www.cafeaulait.org/ |
| Read Cafe con Leche for XML News: http://www.cafeconleche.org/ |