xom-interest - [XOM-interest] Remarks on 1.0d8 API

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Laurent Bihanic <laurent.bihanic AT atosorigin.com>
  • To: XOM-interest <XOM-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] Remarks on 1.0d8 API
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 16:52:15 +0100

Hi,

I was looking at the XOM 1.0d8 API and found two things that may be worth changing:

- setData vs. getValue: Comment, Text and ProcessingInstruction all require to use setData to modify the node data and getValue to retrieve this same value. On the other hand, Attribute provides setValue and getValue. I think the API would be more intuitive if Comment, Text and ProcessingInstruction used setValue instead of setData.

- Likewise, many classes offer protected checkXxx methods (e.g. checkRoot, checkRemove, checkTarget, checkData) but Comment and Text only have check(). For consistency, it would be nice to rename them checkData (or checkValue), even if these classes only have one check method (but Document and Attributes are in the same case).

Laurent