wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This Week on WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: "wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org" <wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This Week on WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 16:36:15 -0500

Hey everyone,

It’s Friday again! Whether you’ve got big plans for the weekend or you’re just planning on taking it easy, WXYC has lots in store to keep you entertained:

Tune in to the Inside Track tonight at 9pm to hear Drain by Doom Asylum. Local hero turned LA transplant Andrew Peterson has come out with more twisted, popped up, alien techno for your ears to salivate over. From minimal techno, to feedback laden noise, to proto-house grooves and four-on-the floor currents, this album's got something for everyone.

Tonight's New Science Experience will feature local legend and WXYC alumn One Duran. Tune in from 10pm to midnight for an airtight mix of house and techno.

Jane DW will be hosting her usual first-of-the-month Orange County Special this Sunday from 11am to 1pm. Be sure to tune in for a great two-hour mix of traditional and neo-traditional music from all over!

This week on Hell or High Water, Sunday 1 to 2pm, we'll be going back in time to focus on a genre now pretty much out of the mainstream—yodeling! We'll be featuring the Trikont-released American Yodeling: 1911-1946, which includes songs about the American countryside and laboring as well as blues about life and blues about yodeling itself. Tune in for a rootin' tootin' good time, y'all!

Fusion Youth Radio will be returning to the airwaves this Sunday at 5pm! For those who don't know, Fusion Youth Radio, a collaborative program between Sacrificial Poets, the Jackson Center, and WXYC, engages local Chapel Hill and Carrboro high school students with radio through investigative journalism and topic-based shows.  We have a mighty class of eight new high school students from across Orange County for this year of FYR! The title for the show will be "Sink or Swim in the Digital Sea of Modern Media" and it will feature discussion of media representation of social movements with a specific focus on social media. Tune in to empower the voices of our local youth!

The last On-Air Confessions of the semester airs this Sunday from 9 to 10 pm! We'll be talking holiday confessions, embarrassing parent stories, and roommate confessions. Call in or tweet to us @OACWDJL.

And catch the Outside Track this coming Monday at 9pm to hear Asheville trio Ahleuchatistas’ new album Arrebato. Guitarist Shane Perlowin, who scorched on 2012’s Heads Full of Poison, sits this one out, letting also-guitarist Shane Parish have a go at what the duo describe as “mammoth melodic tectonic movements that raze and reshape conventional sonic terrains.” Intricate yet reckless, improvisational yet carefully stylized - this is rock for music nerds. Fans of Sun City Girls and GOAT will probably like this.