wheatsville - [Wheatsville] Summer is starting to HEAT UP!!!

wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Wheatsville Co-op Austin, TX

  • From: Dan Gillotte <gm AT wheatsville.coop>
  • To: wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Wheatsville] Summer is starting to HEAT UP!!!
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 13:19:49 -0400

Hi friends!

I hope that you are having a great week!
In this e-mail:
P/2 Farm Visit for Wheatsville member-owners!
Fresh specials from:
Produce
Cheese
Meat
Deli
Specials and news from the Health Team; vitamins, herbs and bodycare!
Co-op camp!

P/2 farm visit!
Our friends at P/2 Organic farm are allowing Wheatsville member-owners to come out and visit their farm for a tour this June! It will be June 24th from 2-5pm. We'll meet at Wheatsville and carpool out (though we'll make directions available for those who wish to go it alone!) We'll trou their farm which has fruit, vegetables, cows, dogs and cats! Visitors will get to taste from delicious P/2 Pesto and we'll have some other special refreshments, too! RSVPs are required, so please e-mail me gm AT wheatsville.coop if you'd like to attend!

From their web-site: P/2 Organic is a TDA certified farm about 35 mi. NE of Austin in SE Williamson County. We own 100 acres, 16 of which are certified. We bought the farm in 1980 to get away from the city and to be as self-sufficient as possible. Over the years we expanded from a small garden plot to the 16 acres we now work. Our main spring/summer crop is okra and we also grow a variety of other vegetables from asparagus to zucchini. Our winter crop is greenhouse tomatoes and sweet basil

Now is the time for fruits and veggies!
Summer fruit is rolling in fully now with Berries, Peaches, Watermelon and more!
New this week: Organic Grapes, Organic Plums. Summer is also a great time to be eating more salad!

Special Cheese from Tuffin, our cheese buyer!
Asiago cheese
is an Italian cheese that according to the different aging can assume different textures, from smooth for the fresh Asiago cheese( Asiago Pressato) to a crumbly texture for the aged cheese (Asiago d'allevo) whose flavor is reminiscent of sharp Cheddar and Parmesan. The aged cheese is often grated in salads, soups, pastas, and sauces while the fresh Asiago cheese is sliced to prepare panini, sandwiches, or molten on a variety of dishes. It is often treated as interchangeable with the parmesan and romano cheeses, as they are with each other. This week I'm provided a recipe for Veggie and asiago frittatas. (Look for it in the cheese case!)

In the Meat Department
This week we'll have Farmland Pork baby back ribs $5.39 lb. Boneless pork will also be marked at a special price. That includes boneless center cuts, butterfly chops, thin breakfast chops, boneless roast, and boneless riblets.

Fresh in the Deli!
Our Wheatsville Salsa of the Month is Roasted Tomato Salsa

We're featuring recipes from the Skagit Valley Food Co-op, Mount Vernon, Washington.
We'll have these 2 recipes through the 15th of June in the deli!

Thai Beef Salad
Seared and roasted B3R natural beef is cut into thin strips, mixed with fresh chopped tomatoes, green onions, cilantro and cucumbers, then dressed in a sesame, rice wine vinaigrette spiked with ginger and garlic.

Basil Parmesan Pasta
Simple and summery, bow tie pasta, shredded parmesan cheese, red onions and spinach are tossed with lots of fresh basil, garlic and olive oil. A refreshing side dish, perfect with grilled meats or seafood.

From the Vitamin Department

Buy one get one free!
Rainbow Light One a day Food-Based Calcium
90 tablets (plus 90 tablets free) $10.99
180 tablets (plus 180 tablets free)$18.99

SALE!

Rainbow LightOne a day Women’s One Multivitamin
30 tablets $7.89, 90 tablets $18.75

Rainbow LightOne a day Prenatal One Multivitamin
30 tablets $8.79, 90 tablets $18.99

From the Bulk Herbs and Tea Department

New in the bulk herb section:

Organic Marjoram Leaf
Organic Pickling Spice
Organic Rosehips
Chia Seeds
Gunpowder Green Tea with Mint Leaves

 Say goodbye to: Celery Seed (will return for thanksgiving), Fine powdered black pepper

From the Bodycare Department

New Locally Made Pillows for Sore Muscles and Relaxation by I.K. Linda
We LOVE these new pillows! They are filled with rice, natural herbs and flowers and are sewn out of luxurious fabrics. Put one in the microwave or freezer to soothe aches and pains. Look for neck style and heart shaped.

Summer Co-op Camp!
Are you interested in attending Co-op Camp Sierra but without the wheels to get there? A long-time Wheastsville member is attending Week 1 (June 30 - July 7) and has room in his car for 2 more. Contact Greg Emil (ausgee {at} yahoo {dot} com) for more info.

 Hope you have a super fine week!
Dan
Wheatsville GM and e-mail guy!

www.wheatsville.coop
http://myspace.com/wheatsvillecoop Be our friend! Find cool videos!

  • [Wheatsville] Summer is starting to HEAT UP!!!, Dan Gillotte, 06/06/2007