wheatsville - [Wheatsville] Celebrate Independents!

wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Wheatsville Co-op Austin, TX

  • From: dan gillotte <gm AT wheatsville.com>
  • To: wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Wheatsville] Celebrate Independents!
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 12:03:55 -0500

Howdy Wheatsville!

Celebrate your Independents!
Austin has many great independent businesses and Wheatsville is proud of our local connections. As a founding member of the Austin Independent Business Alliance, Wheatsville believes in growing and strengthening the bonds we local businesses have. I’m pleased to announce Celebrate your Independents week, the first week in July!

The Austin Independent Business Alliance and the American Independent Business Alliance along with Austin Mayor Will Wynn hereby declares this week to be Independents Week. Where we can all give thanks and recognition to independent, locally owned businesses that make our communities special. Without locals, there’s just Walmart and the like… Go out this week and celebrate our independents! http://www.amiba.net
Here is a link to an interesting article about the importance of independent businesses…
An excerpt:
… Notably this week, as we celebrate our nation's independence, thousands of small businesses, led by the new and fast-growing American Independent Business Alliance (AMIBA), are drawing attention to the importance of small-scale, local enterprise in guarding against economic tyranny.
They've declared this Independents Week and are urging Americans to reassert their economic independence, much as their Tea Party forerunners did, by avoiding global corporations and seeking out independently owned businesses.”

Wheatsville Monthly Board Meeting this Thursday from 6-9 pm at the Episcopal Seminary of the Southwest seminar room (next to the bookstore) 606 Rathervue Place. The first 15 minutes of each board meeting are devoted to open time for members to offer their comments, opinions and ideas.

Greenest Awning in town…
Wheatsville was mentioned in this month’s Vegetarian Times. The article lists Austin as one of the 20 greenest towns in America and mentions us! “The beloved local Wheatsville Food Co-op is thriving, thanks in part to its homey patio, a neighborhood hang-out.” We’re always pleased to have the word spread about our co-op. The article has a nice listing of other great towns and cities, too, so check it out!

Vote!
This coming Monday July 11th is the deadline for voting in the Austin Chronicle Best of Austin awards. Please consider us for categories you find appropriate. We would love to win Best Specialty/ Gourmet Grocery for the second year in a row, though!
http://www.austinchronicle.com/feedback/bestof/05/
Thanks!
Berry Berry good...
If you haven't been eating the organic strawberries, you're really missing out! They have been extraordinary!
Stacy's Pita Chips have been getting raves from staff of late. they are on sale this month, so try 'em out!
Tecolote farms Organic Tomatoes are also rocking the taste buds. We ate some last night sautéed with garlic, asparagus, peas,mushrooms and onions over organic Bio Natura pasta and it was awesome!

RECIPE! This is one of the simplest and fastest summer meals you can make, but seems much fancier than it is. Sautee some garlic and onions until soft, throw in chopped vegetables of your choice (We used red peppers, mushrooms, asparagus, peas, and tomatoes, but you can use what you like.) Harder veggies in first is a good rule of thumb, putting the tomatoes in last. A little salt and pepper at the end and you are done! Sautee with more or less olive oil depending on your preference. You can also add fresh basil for extra delight. The sautee will probably be done as soon as the pasta is boiled, so it’s a dish with good timing. Try it! Mangia, mangia!

Click HERE for July's Co-op Advantage Specials!

Hope you’re having a great week!

Dan Gillotte
Wheatsville GM and e-mail guy

  • [Wheatsville] Celebrate Independents!, dan gillotte, 07/06/2005