typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] The Big Debate: Ladyfest Ten Launch Event – Dedicated to the memory of Ari UP

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Joly MacFie <joly AT punkcast.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] The Big Debate: Ladyfest Ten Launch Event – Dedicated to the memory of Ari UP
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 22:01:32 -0500

[from http://womensgrid.freecharity.org.uk/?p=6165  - Can someone video this please? joly]

The Big Debate: Ladyfest Ten Launch Event – Dedicated to the memory of Ari UP

Posted on November 10, 2010
Filed Under Arts EventFeminismLondonMediaMeetingWomen's Group | Leave a Comment

Dedicated to the memory of Ari UP – front woman with The Slits; Ladyfest supporter; music and cultural icon and an inspirational feminist who encouraged women and girls to believe in themselves and follow their dreams.

Time: 14:00 – 17:00
Date: 12 November, 2010
Location: The Horatia, Holloway Road, London

LADYFEST IS TEN BUT WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE?

Come meet some of the organisers and kick start your weekend of festivities with an amazing line-up of creative women and feminist activists. Discuss and debate the advances of women in the music and creative industries and DIY culture over the last decade and let’s see if we can’t predict where it will lead another ten years from now.

Expect some very special messages from: Allison Wolfe, Sarah Dougher, Beth Stinson and some more of the original Olympia Ladyfest 2000 organisers.

Why does Ladyfest exist? – “Because it has too!! … man-fests go on all around the country all the time that’s why we’re having a Ladyfest … to be around other women, other girls making music is a joy.” – Sukie Smith from Madam.

******** MEET THE PANEL *******

VIV ALBERTINE
Musician, singer, song writer (including with The Slits); Film maker; Sculptor and Writer

KAT BANYARD
Author of ‘The Equality Illusion’; Director of UK Feminista and named this year by the Guardian as ?the most influential young feminist in the country’.

BRIDGET CONOR
Lecturer in media and cultural studies and gender theory at Goldsmiths College, UL. She is interested in considering how attitudes to female creativity have changed over the last ten years and what research Ladyfesters think feminist academics should be focusing on in the next ten years.

LEE BEATTIE
Owner of Communications agency Wire Media and co-writer of the blog GreatLezBritain on afterellen.com. Lee organised the first ever UK Ladyfest in Glasgow in 2001 after an inspirational week spent at the inaugural event in Olympia, WA.

SUSAN O’SHEA (Chair) – Co-organiser of Ladyfest Manchester 2008

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

On the tenth birthday of Ladyfest, we consider the previous decade and look forward to the next by asking the frequently posed question: do we still need Ladyfests? Are they still relevant? How have attitudes to female creativity, empowerment, feminism, and DIY culture changed in the last decade? Where will the next decade of Ladyfests take us? Join us and our panel of speakers for an afternoon of friend-making, discussion and celebration. Kick off the Ladyfest Ten celebrations in style!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

To attend this event please purchase a Friday ‘Rest of Fest’ ticket.
Tickets: £12.50 adv, £15 on the door. Concs available
http://www.wegottickets.com/f/2004

Your ‘Rest of the Fest’ Ladyfest Ten Friday ticket also includes entry to
-Miss Ladyfest X – A twisted beauty pageant cabaret contest.
-Theatre programme at La Danza Studios
-Beats Workin’ @ The Horatia feat. fierce female mcs and beatboxers
-The Ladyfest Ten Big Debate
-Film programme

Facebook event page: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=137606389622851

For details of all other workshops go to the Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=170619669618043

OR

The website for news: http://ladyfestten.com/2010/11/01/the-launch-debate-ten-years-of-ladyfest/#more-1359

http://www.ladyfestten.com

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
  Secretary - ISOC-NY - http://isoc-ny.org

  • [TypicalGirls] The Big Debate: Ladyfest Ten Launch Event – Dedicated to the memory of Ari UP, Joly MacFie, 11/10/2010