typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] The F-Word Features Women in punk: the disappearing years

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Joly MacFie <joly AT punkcast.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] The F-Word Features Women in punk: the disappearing years
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 02:07:39 -0500

No Dina, good catch.

As, like Caroline Coon, an old hippy I liked this bit, only too true

Coon said: “First of all, in retrospect, the male punks were actually fulfilling a rather orthodox, rite of passage male youth rebellion. All young men, whether they are aristocrats, Oxford undergraduates in the Bullington Club for instance, or working class football hooligans, they are indulged in their drunkenness, in their swearing, in their destroying things. Traditionally, for centuries of British culture, young men are allowed to get drunk, destroy, create anti-social havoc - and then they settle down, and they are absorbed back into adult male patriarchal culture.”
This licence, she believes, didn’t extend to young women. “What was truly revolutionary and a marker of progress in society, which utterly depended upon the advances made by the feminist movement, was that the punk generation women had… certain freedoms that were becoming well established in law, that enabled them for the first time of any subcultural movement to actually be on an equal par with male punks.” She contrasted the punk period with the hippy period of the late 1960s, when women “were meant to be decorative arm-pieces, Dolly Birds. We had to sit at home, embroidering jeans.” And she sees the hippies’ treatment of their ‘chicks’ as a key instigator of second wave feminism.

It continues into as good a discussion of punk and feminism as I've read

http://www.thefword.org.uk/features/2010/04/women_of_the_pu