typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] Czech band: Zuby Nehty

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Bryan Swirsky <bryan.swirsky AT gmail.com>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] Czech band: Zuby Nehty
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 10:04:05 -0400

Hey Folks

I'm working with a Czech band called, Zuby Nehty, who date back to
1979 and were one of the 1st punk/post-punk bands operating behind the
so-called Iron Curtain. They started out as 'Plyn' (Gas) when they
were students and eventually morphed into the more well-known Dybbuk -
who managed to release one of the 1st Czech punk 7''s on the state-run
label, Pantone records. Several line-up changes later, the band became
known as 'Zuby Nehty' (Tooth and Nail) and became very much leaders of
the underground alongside bands like FPB (now known as Uz Jsme Doma),
OZW, Garaz, Mama Bubo and Extempore. ZN's style is as beautiful,
immediate and as forward as any band revered on this list and I
contend that had labels like Rough Trade gotten behind them back in
the late 70s, they'd be superstars at the level of the Slits,
Raincoats and Liliput today. I urge you all to seek them out. They
will be touring America for the 1st time in late September/early
October 2010 - with Uz Jsme Doma - and I hope you all get behind the
band and come see them play.

Thanks for reading,
Bryan

The links below are all horribly out of date. I am working on adding
material to the Facebook page. If anyone out there can help with
updating their actual webpage, please get in touch. There are a bunch
of amazing Dybbuk and ZN vids on Youtube as well. The Dybbuk clips are
taken from the Hudba 85 concert film, which was just released on DVD
this past year.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zuby_Nehty
www.noise.cz/zubynehty/
www.myspace.com/zubynehtyy
www.facebook.com/pages/Zuby-Nehty/105258172844230

  • [TypicalGirls] Czech band: Zuby Nehty, Bryan Swirsky, 06/21/2010