typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] books!

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: kelli AT goodgrrrldesign.com
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] books!
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 08:51:10 -0800 (PST)

that book has been around for years and yes, it is pretty cool.

isn't it equally snobby though to slam people because they aren't lo-brow
enough. Maybe I'm just crabby today, but I found Simon's book a really
amazing cultural analysis, very inspiring and exciting. But well, maybe I
am an art snob, so be it.

it just really bothers me how judgemental people can be on either side of
the fence, there are great things in both academic cultural anaylsis and
teenagers making zines and putting on shows. so why waste energy being
negative. It's all good and worth while and it's hard enough to take a
stand and be "counter-cultural" so hey, lets just be happy there are
people doing it however they see fit.