typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Reissues, Reynolds, Reminders

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: "Sean Stewart" <sean.stewart AT artspdf.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Reissues, Reynolds, Reminders
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 15:50:49 +1000

Greil Marcus and Lester Bangs both write well on this topic, or at least
on bands the bands they were exposed to from this era. I prefer the wit
of Lester Bangs but his tone would be inappropriate for the encyclopedic
volume of information that Reynold's is going for. I wouldn't read Rip
It Up as a critical work.

I'll take this time to flog off an Austalian academic/musician/writer
Philip Brophy, whose writing on these topics I do find illuminating...

http://media-arts.rmit.edu.au/Phil_Brophy/AvantGardeRock.html
http://www.philipbrophy.com/projects/rstff/PostPunkGraphics_M.html
http://www.philipbrophy.com/projects/sorck/index.html

Enjoy the free reading!