typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] The Raincoats this weekend and cds...

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: "shirley.o'loughlin" <shirley.o'loughlin AT virgin.net>
  • To: <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] The Raincoats this weekend and cds...
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 09:24:21 +0000

Title: The Raincoats this weekend and cds...
Hi everyone,

The event tomorrow is a celebration of Andy Roberts life – he died last summer after spending a week in hospital having been hit by a motorcycle in the street. It’s not advertised as a gig as such – just really word of mouth/net as it’s a memorial. Andy organised a show at this same venue in 2001 and invited Ana and Gina to play solo sets and asked them to play a couple of Raincoats songs at that time as he was a huge Raincoats fan- so we asked him to the drums on the spot and he knew every beat! Tomorrow Ana and Gina will both play 2 solo songs and then will play Fairytale and No Looking from the first album – just the two of them on bass and guitar.

As far as the back catalogue goes we are selling the 4 albums The Raincoats, Odyshape, Moving and Looking in the Shadows (we have stock of around 500 to 1000 of each cd) through the Rough Trade shop here in the UK so they are available on mail order (www.roughtrade.com) for £9.99 each plus postage. We plan to make a box set at some point in the near future with RT and in Japan and Gina is working on a dvd of old live footage and new material to release with the box set. We’d like to re-release the back catalogue again and it would be great to do this in the USA – any offers!

Alex from Chicks on Speed is currently compiling a double cd with music from women/female bands from the 70’s to now called Girl Monster which should be out in April/May – this sounds amazing it’s got tracks by The Raincoats, Ana da Silva, The Slits, Delta 5 etc.

Ana and Gina are currently recording a Raincoats version of Monk Chant for a compilation of covers for Silver Monk Time to raise money for a Monks documentary by Dietmar Post. The album includes Gudrun Gut, SYPH, Psychic TV, Chicks on Speed, The Fall....

Shirley

  • [TypicalGirls] The Raincoats this weekend and cds..., shirley.o'loughlin, 02/17/2006