typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] TypicalGirls Digest, Vol 89, Issue 7

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Jason Gross <perfect AT furious.com>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] TypicalGirls Digest, Vol 89, Issue 7
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 12:23:16 -0500

Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 09:27:59 -0800 (PST)
From: Daniel Selzer <danselzer AT yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] rough trade

I think that only applies to what was happening at
that point much later on. My understanding of the
stuff Rough Trade released when they were more "co-op"
oriented is that the artists owned their own stuff. I
do know for a fact, that Rough Trade and/or Geoff
Travis do not own any of the late 70s/early 80s stuff,
that all that is owned by the artists...or in many
cases whatever company owns that artists material.

True, that's the case but it's sad that RT didn't keep a good archive of the tapes involved. They did have it all as far as I know up til the 90's when they got into a deal with One Little Indian and might have actually given them the tapes of the early material. After that mess untangled (for a while, RT didn't have the rights to use their own name), it seems that the tapes were lost (or they forget who had them). Up til that time, they would let a label like Razor & Tie license some tracks and let them copy the material from the original sources.

Even before the OLI deal, I had asked RT if they'd reissue "Wanna Buy A Bridge" and they weren't particularly interested, saying it'd be too much of a hassle to work out details with each of the bands. Dan S had been keen to take up the torch for that. Is that still so...? On this list alone, we have the contacts for Kleenex, Logic, D5, YMG, the Raincoats and probably others.

Best,
Jason

Perfect Sound Forever- online music magazine since 1993- now new and semi-improved!
<http://www.perfectsoundforever.com>
Crazed by the Music blog: <http://blogs.popmatters.com/crazedbythemusic/>