typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Ruth Polsky

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Oliver C <omcorner AT dsl.pipex.com>
  • To: weasel walter <weaselw AT juno.com>
  • Cc: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Ruth Polsky
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 20:06:22 -0700

This taken from the web:

She was a NY music promoter who was basically responsible for bringing The Smiths and MANY OTHERS to Danceteria (she is given a dedication on their "Shoplifters..." single as well as some of the favorite UK bands to NYC for the first time (Bunnymen, Teardrop Explodes, the Raincoats, New Order, Quando Quango, Delta 5, Gene Loves Jezebel) as well as bringing such US bands like The db's, Bush Tetras, Bongos and Polyrock to London for their UK debuts. She was fatally run over by cab in front of the Limelight September 7 1986 before going to see Certain General (who she was managing) play. She is definitely someone to remember.