typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] breaking glass

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Dina Hornreich <dinahornreich AT earthlink.net>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] breaking glass
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 23:05:21 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

"Breaking Glass" was on again Friday Night/Saturday Morning -- around 4:35 AM
-- so I taped it and watched it yesterday. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Sure,
the story itself was a bit cliche but she was strong enough to pull it off
well. I liked her -- as a person/actor/character and as a musician -- and I
liked the scenery, plotline, etc. And you know, those songs did linger
considerably in my consciousness for a while afterward!

If you compare it to other mainstream movies about music/fame -- like velvet
goldmine, almost famous, rockstar, grace of my heart, great balls of fire --
it really was pretty good. I don't really remember Jubilee very well --
except for the slits cameo. That could be due to a variety of factors. Yes, I
will readily admit that I am not a real film connoisseur (but some of you are
and I quite respect that!).

Anyhow, if it's on TV again -- you might want to check it out. We have fancy
(digital) cable because of some deal we have, so I don't think you have to
subscribe to Starz Cinema just to see this flick (even though "Sid and Nancy"
will be on soon -- although I'm not really sure I can/want to see it again).
"Breaking GLass" is not available on DVD/VHS anymore but that may change! Who
knows!?

-Dina

dinahornreich AT earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~dinahornreich/

Moderator, Typical Girls List
http://www.orkut.com/Community.aspx?cmm=17851

Ockhams Razor: Basic Scientific Principal
"All things being equal the simplest explanation
and the simplest answer is probably the right one."