typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] return of the giant slits reissue

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: HunnyPi007 AT aol.com
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] return of the giant slits reissue
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 01:10:10 EDT

that's really sad about viv's current stance on the slits (about which i had no idea).   apparently, the slits now mean $ to her which is patently contrary to their original aesthetic.  or maybe ari did her wrong???

lydia

p.s.:  imho & in common practice, responses to posts should go ABOVE the post being replied to so that people don't have to scroll down to see the new post (an email and mailing list pet peave of mine), i.e. the new text is right at the top.  : )

In a message dated 5/7/04 6:58:15 PM, perfectlist AT furious.com writes:

At 03:42 PM 5/7/2004 -0700, weaselw AT juno.com wrote:
> > Good news for us fans but bad news for Ari Up.  As usual with these
> > reissues, she had no idea this was happening (wasn't told or asked
> > about  this) and will not see royalties for this.  That ain't justice.
>Why don't you advise Ari to call the fucking record company? It couldn't
>possibly be that hard. Didn't someone say that Tessa and Viv were getting
>their royalties just fine? Sometimes we get the "justice" we make for
>ourselves (or don't make for ourselves).

Gee Walter, that's a really brilliant idea.  And who exactly would she
speak to at the label?  Ever try to call these big labels
yourself?  They're not exactly the most helpful people you'll find.

Viv has pretty much cut Ari out of the equation, claiming that she's the
Slits herself.  That probably means that she's signing off on the rights
and the record company can then claim that it's an issue between the band
members.

Jason

Perfect Sound Forever
online music magazine