sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Future plans on the progress

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ismael Luceno <ismael.luceno AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Future plans on the progress
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 22:01:44 -0300

On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 11:38:09 -0600
Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org> wrote:
> On Jan 29, Ismael Luceno [ismael.luceno AT gmail.com] wrote:
<...>
> > That said, if we want to appeal anyone besides hobbyists, we should
> > consider what the different user profiles expect, and deliver.
>
> First, the distro appeals just fine to professionals, thanks. SMGL
> has been the distro facilitating at least millions of dollars of
> credit card transactions for some pretty large companies whose names
> you would certainly recognize, some of them "too big to fail".
>
> Really, almost any serious admin who sees it gets it, the problem is
> just adoption where they work if they can't spend the time to get
> critical mass of their colleagues interested. Every project with low
> name ID has this problem and it's never an easy one to fix, it
> involves a lot of chickens and eggs.
>
> Second, the goal of this distro has always been to first meet the
> needs of those that develop it. Finding ways to get the word out to
> like-minded people so they'll join us as developers or users is
> great, changing what we're doing to appeal to people who aren't us is
> not.

I have to disagree here. SMGL is great in certain aspects, but it's
also true it's lacking polish in many others; and fixing those
aspects is something that would benefit our experience too.

It is indeed great to certain pros, yet we fail to captivate many
others.

I would love my friends, colleagues and clients to use SMGL, even if
not for exactly the same reasons I prefer it. Indeed it's a matter of
critical mass, familiarity, and convenience.

However, we're living special times, the field is being reshaped and we
have big chances to turn around our odds. We can become popular.

I don't see any reason we can't be technically better and more
appealing, if it takes just a few features that would in any case make
our personal experience better too. We're not really talking about
making any compromises.