sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Future plans on the progress

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Future plans on the progress
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 00:46:02 +0100

Am Wed, 28 Jan 2015 17:56:08 -0500
schrieb Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com>:

> Not having that stuff is what I like about Source Mage. There are enough
> distros out there that offer pre-configuration and 'sane' defaults

Well, while I agree that there is no great need for binaries and having
to much preconfigured, I have the opinion that a cast without the mage
changing anything from the defaults should succeed. This should be what
we test before grimoire releases.

Offering a set of cache tarballs from those test builds for the
convenience of folks, or just for rescue purposes, wouldn't exactly
hurt, neither. Heck, our ISO partly consists of those, right?

> that Source Mage has per package build options and crazy customization.
> That's a huge factor to it's appeal IMO. If I wanted binary packages with
> sane defaults, I'd use a binary distro.

Sure. For me it started as something less cumbersome than managing LFS
all by myself. All the power to me. I can take an age-old system that I
didn't update for years for some reason and just modify the glibc spell
to patch the GHOST fix in --- without hurting any part of the setup
that might rely on not updating the whole system (to the next service
pack / major release that still is oficially supported).

Alrighty then,

Thomas