sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Javier, could you elaborate on rxvt-unicode vs. /dev/pts?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Remko van der Vossen <wich AT yuugen.jp>
  • To: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Javier, could you elaborate on rxvt-unicode vs. /dev/pts?
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 11:46:31 +0200

On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 03:24:05PM +0200, Thomas Orgis wrote:
> Am Mon, 11 Aug 2014 07:53:33 +0200
> schrieb Remko van der Vossen <wich AT yuugen.jp>:
>
> > Nope, as I said, you don't need systemd, udev, eudev, or whatever else,
> > I use a static dev and no more.
>
> Well, it doesn't work just like that for me (using udev). Without the
> line in fstab, I don't have devpts. Maybe kernel option to find ... but
> why would even kernel.org default config start breaking this stuff?!
> What is this about, anyway? Who wants to muck around with terminal
> support?

Just got back to work where I have an smgl box with static dev, and
using urxvt.

- udev/eudev/systemd not installed
- rxvt-unicode version 9.20
- glibc version 2.19
- /dev/ptmx crw-rw-rw- root tty
- /dev/pts drwxr-xr-x root root
- kernel 3.15.2

And I did find the proper fix, it was not to leave devpts out of fstab,
but that you need to specify some mount options:

devpts /dev/pts devpts defaults,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000 0 0

leaving devpts out of fstab is the fix for systemd as in that case
systemd will handle it, while having it in fstab manually with incorrect
mount options will break your system. Not exactly sure about udev/eudev,
but I guess if you set the right mount options in fstab it should work
right.

The kernel option that I was remembering somewhere was not related to
pts but was devtmpfs stuff which completely fscked up my static dev
setup as it threw away my devices every time. So if you would like to
ditch udev/eudev and go static remember to disable devtmpfs in your
kernel config.

Regards, Remko