sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Javier, could you elaborate on rxvt-unicode vs. /dev/pts?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Remko van der Vossen <wich AT yuugen.jp>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Javier, could you elaborate on rxvt-unicode vs. /dev/pts?
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2014 04:45:16 +0200

Ah yes, the pty problem, had lots of fun with that one...

I don't have my main SMGL desktop box at hand now, but let me see if I
can figure out what it all was about. There is definitely no need for
either putting users in tty group, nor for setting urxvt setuid/setgid.
Nor even is there a need for systemd, udev, or eudev.

Firstly, remove the devpts line from your fstab, the kernel auto mounts
it I believe. I don't quite remember if there were any relevant kernel
config options.
Next, set your /dev/pts directory to root:root with a 755 mode.
Now it all hinges upon ptmx (which I believe you will see urxvt failing
on if you'd do an strace or such.) you need to give ptmx mode 666 if you
want to give everyone the ability to create pseudo terminals, or mode
660 with some specific group that you add users to that you want to give
pseudo terminal access too.

Note that doing any of this does not create any security problem, ptmx
is only the multiplexer used to create ptys, the actual ptys are created
by the kernel in /dev/pts and are owned by the requesting user.

I'd have to check my main desktop in a week or two to check all the
particulars, but I'm sure you should be able to make it work.

Regards, Remko