sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] spells with stable releases from SCM

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
  • To: "sm, discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] spells with stable releases from SCM
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 11:34:19 -0600

Hi,

I've had to deal with several spells, and my impression so far is that
SM uses SCM (git/svn/hg/cvs/...) for moving targets.

All SCM mechanisms, if I'm not mistaken, provide some sort of way to
specify a particular snapshot. Git and hg use hashsums, svn and other
use revision numbers.

I'm wondering why not offering stable versions of spells from SCM as
well, by using the particular snapshot the stable version corresponds
to, or the one found stable by corresponding SM maintainer (if there's
any).

That would, in theory, accelerate downloads as well, given that on
spells' updates (cause the snapshot identifier changed), what really
happens is a local repository update till reaching the new snapshot
(in case of git, that might be a full git pull, and then get to the
particular snapshot)...

If revision numbers or hashsums look little uniformed, then it could
be such things are used for SCM purposes, but for SM convention, the
full date (year-month-day-hour-minute-second) of such commit is
used...

Any ways, just thinking out loud, :-)

Thanks,

--