sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] Fwd: [kmod + udev] new versions of kmod (5) + udev (182) under test break boot

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
  • To: "sm, discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] Fwd: [kmod + udev] new versions of kmod (5) + udev (182) under test break boot
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 13:51:04 -0600

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us> wrote:
>> On 5/24/2013 11:07, Robin Cook wrote:
>>> On Wed, 22 May 2013 22:31:52 -0600
>>> Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com> wrote:

>> I also ran into this, but didn't have time to research as it was my work
>> box and I needed it back ASAP. Just stayed on stable grimoire for a bit,
>> but a recent update to test (this week) seems to have continued to work.
>>
>> -sandalle
>

> Test reverted udev, so that's probably why you fond the issues gone, :-)
>
> Any ways, in my case I was missing in the kernel auto-mount of the
> devtmpfs, though devtmpfs was enabled. See prior e-mails in this same
> thread... That can be passed through a boot parameter as well.
>
> My guess is that the mount was provided by udev before, but is no
> longer done. My other guess is the reason for this, :-) Perhaps in
> favor of inirtd doing such task instead of udev, since all binary
> distros use initrd now a days any ways, :-)
>
> That was all, so at the end not really a bug, but such mount needs to
> be performed by any utility (kernel itself) other than udev...
>
> Currently I have kmod 12 and udev 182.
>
> Interesting enough that's the last udev from upstream, since then they
> migrated udev into systemd, then perhaps it'll be time to start using
> the gentoo fork, :-)

Before I forget, there was a need for a patch though. I provided it,
as well as a new udev spell, on the bug I filed. The reason for such
patch is to allow udev to compile against newer glibc 2.17 in test.
You can find details out in the bug I filed...

So I was mistaken when I said there was no bug. There was one, but
not related with the infinite reboot loop, but with compilation
instead, :-)

--
Javier.