sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SOURCEFORGE_URL

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SOURCEFORGE_URL
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 17:29:38 -0600

On 02/17/2013 04:25 PM, Sukneet Basuta wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 5:12 PM, Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com> wrote:
>> If we are just going to use downloads.sourceforge.net, why not just
>> change SOURCEFORGE_URL to default to that?
>> downloads.sourceforge.net/${PROJECT_NAME}/${SOURCE} works perfectly
>> and spell maintainers don't have to fix anything.
>
> I should probably clarify that by perfectly I mean it get's a 301
> moved permanently and then forwards to the correct url, which is the
> same thing that happens now. So actually it wouldn't make a
> difference, but either way it still works. I guess all we really need
> to do is get rid of the dead mirrors in sorcery.

Well, two reasons.

First: It's easier to just change the url in the spell files than it is
to update sorcery, and override currently set local variables. I've
discovered that if you have a local SOURCEFORGE_URL set (as in, you
picked one in the menu) updating sorcery to remove that mirror from the
list does nothing at all. It still uses the one you picked, even though
it doesn't exist any more, because local settings aren't referencing
anything in the mirror file, it's just a string.

Second: There's no reason to pretend like we have a SOURCEFORGE_URL
mirror system at all. If we want to keep a SOURCEFORGE_URL for reuse
purposes, I'd stick it in the grimoire functions, and I might call it
something different, or make it a function rather than a variable.

sourceforge_url {
"http://download.sourceforge.net/$1";
}

would probably be sufficient to save on the typing, although it's not
much typing anyway. I'd rather put the onus back on the spell, since
there's no mirror system within sorcery, and I'd like to make a clean
cut from it.

--
David