sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Shut down bugzilla

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jaka Kranjc <smgl AT lynxlynx.info>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Shut down bugzilla
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 00:59:28 +0200

On Sunday 08 of July 2012 14:00:43 David Kowis wrote:
> Background:
> We've got a large amount of changesets in our chiliproject database,
> probably more than anyone has ever put into chiliproject. The grimoire
> is huge.
>
> This is bringing mysql to it's knees quite often with poorly optimized
> queries that are touching 45,000 rows, but limited to only the first one
> anyway. MySQL is spending most of it's CPU time sorting those rows, even
> with indexes and such.
>
> I'd like to move away from mysql into postgresql. I can relatively
> easily export the data using a rails plugin[1], or I can try something a
> bit different using an application called taps[2].
Is there any concrete data indicating this will improve overall performance?
So much we won't have a problem next year? Next two? Sloppy queries can bring
any large database to its knees. Perhaps we need to think up other mitigating
measures too.

Also, are we on latest chilli? Maybe they optimised it in the meanwhile.

> Taps might work for converting the bugzilla database to postgres, since
> postgres now supports bugzilla. We could then keep bugzilla around, but
> do we need to? I can archive off the database, and the application, and
> shut it down.
It still contains a lot of useful info, even if just for historical purposes.
Which is not the case for sorcery and maybe cauldron, since there was no
migration and the bugs and feature requests are much less transient than
those
of the grimoire. So I'm all for preserving it, even if the backend changes.

As it is hardly used by those who don't know it exists — or at all, I doubt
it
adds much to the server load. Disable indexing if robots still crawl over it.

LP
--
To err is humor