sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Shut down bugzilla

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Shut down bugzilla
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2012 14:00:43 -0500

Background:
We've got a large amount of changesets in our chiliproject database,
probably more than anyone has ever put into chiliproject. The grimoire
is huge.

This is bringing mysql to it's knees quite often with poorly optimized
queries that are touching 45,000 rows, but limited to only the first one
anyway. MySQL is spending most of it's CPU time sorting those rows, even
with indexes and such.

I'd like to move away from mysql into postgresql. I can relatively
easily export the data using a rails plugin[1], or I can try something a
bit different using an application called taps[2].

Taps might work for converting the bugzilla database to postgres, since
postgres now supports bugzilla. We could then keep bugzilla around, but
do we need to? I can archive off the database, and the application, and
shut it down.

I'd rather not run two databases on this box, since it's pretty darn
slow as it is, it doesn't have a whole lot of the rams.

So, if I can't get it exported into postgresql, I'm going to shut it
down next weekend.

--
David Kowis

1: https://github.com/ludicast/yaml_db