sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] util-linux 2.21 and inittab update in FINAL

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] util-linux 2.21 and inittab update in FINAL
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 16:52:32 +0200

Am Sat, 21 Apr 2012 11:55:01 +0200
schrieb Florian Franzmann <siflfran AT hawo.stw.uni-erlangen.de>:

> I don't think the update is history. Our Iso is so old that whenever
> someone installs a system from it he has to go throught this update.

Oh, well. Then, such a disruptive change in the base system warrants a new
ISO release. I know, I'm beating a dead horse here, but I am tempted to say
that a current iso is a prerequisite to pushing such a change to master.

Didn't we have ISO creation scripted some time ago? Couldn't there be
nightlies (at least current userspace with an older kernel)?

Oh, and about the FINAL code: I would have, in the Source Mage spirit,
preferred a big fat warning after the cast (sorcery has the option to repeat
those messages at the end, doesn't it?) and a suggested new /etc/inittab as
configuration file, being merged or not at the Mage's decision.

Trying to silently hack around in configuration files with a sed line is
evil, IMHO. Other opinions?

Alrighty then,

Thomas