sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Updating the Install ISO & Kernels

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Updating the Install ISO & Kernels
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 21:43:34 -0500

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 8:42 PM, Corbin Bird <corbinbird AT charter.net> wrote:
> I have a 'amdfam10' chip. :)
>
> The 'native 64bit' turns out to compile k8 (Athlon64) code. This is what
> I saw in the output from GCC v4.6.1.

If it is indeed detecting the wrong architecture you should submit a
bug to gcc (it's using -march=native). You should probably try gcc
4.6.2 before that however. But, maybe gcc is just doing some weird
optimizations of some sort.

> Please correct me if I am wrong .... (x86_64 Generic 64bit archspec)
>     Reading the GCC online docs indicates there is no '-march=x86-64'
> or '-march=x86_64' ?
>     The correct switch ... '-mtune=generic -m64' or '-mtune=k8 -m64' ?

-march=x86-64 is undocumented, but is valid. I believe "-march=x86-64
-mtune=generic" would be the correct flags for generic 64-bit.
-mtune=x86-64 was an alias to -mtune=k8 at one time, but I believe
that was changed for some reason and mtune=x86-64 was removed
completely.

> The disk geometry problem is going to take some 'bang head on wall' time
> to fix / work around. If you need a tester for install(s),or have a
> solution, please let me know.

If you know it works with a newer kernel, just find a bootcd using a
newer kernel (SystemRescueCD is pretty good), or if you have a bootcd
that reads the drive fine use that. Boot into it and use Arjan
Bouter's updated 64-bit basesystem -
http://dbg.download.sourcemage.org/image/contrib/smgl-test-basesystem-x86_64.tar.xz
. Just extract it, mount the /dev, /proc, and /sys filesystems and
chroot into it. As a warning though, it is not tested very well and
uses the test grimoire, not stable. That said, I've used it and it
seems to work perfectly fine. Alternatively, you can chroot into the
iso and install everything that way.

We really do need a newer ISO though, if only to show the world that
we're still alive.