sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Updating the Install ISO & Kernels

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Corbin Bird <corbinbird AT charter.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Updating the Install ISO & Kernels
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 19:42:17 -0600

Vlad,

(Yes, this is my first post on this list.)

I would love to see a updated 64bit install ISO & smgl-archspecs spell. I have had severe problems with the update process. As in "wipe the drive and start over".

Traced it down to the use of a defunct IDE driver in the ISO kernel and a SATA2, AHCI / PATA controller driver in the newer kernels. The old driver didn't let / or couldn't read drive geometry on a SATA2 / AHCI device. The new driver reads the geometry and can't address the drive correctly anymore. Kernel 2.6.39 for example.

It would be nice to see the switch 'HWCLOCKACCESS=' in the sysconfig/hwclock file for those who can't run NTP. repeated 'fsck' fails / exits can get really annoying...

Suggestions for smgl-archspecs :

I have a 'amdfam10' chip. :)

The 'native 64bit' turns out to compile k8 (Athlon64) code. This is what I saw in the output from GCC v4.6.1.

Please correct me if I am wrong .... (x86_64 Generic 64bit archspec)
Reading the GCC online docs indicates there is no '-march=x86-64' or '-march=x86_64' ?
The correct switch ... '-mtune=generic -m64' or '-mtune=k8 -m64' ?

The disk geometry problem is going to take some 'bang head on wall' time to fix / work around. If you need a tester for install(s),or have a solution, please let me know.

The community effort is appreciated,
Corbin