sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Gnome 3

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ladislav Hagara <ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Gnome 3
  • Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 02:49:16 +0200

> I hope that the gnome 3 branching is going to make gnome 3 sections and
> not over write the gnome 2 sections.
>
> I am one of those that will refuse to switch to gnome 3 as the way they
> have done it doesn't work for me.

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Sorry, but we have to go with upstream. We don't have dozens developers
to fork gnome and create own Source Mage Gnome. Will the upstream
support gnome 2? Will users of Fedora, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu have possibility
to install gnome 2?

Yea, we have gnome1-apps, gnome1-libs, kde-apps, kde-code, kde-look
sections with spells. Stale and unmaintained spells. Do we really need
gnome1-libs spells? Who really use kde 3? Moreover according to git logs
they are unmaintained. Why haven't we updated kde-apps spells to kde 4
and created kde4-apps instead? Why we have kdebase and kdebase4, kdeedu
and kdeedu4, gconf and gconf2, libgtop and libgtop2, ...

Why do we install kde 4 into /opt/kde4 and patch sources instead of
removing kde 3 spells and install kde 4 into /usr?

Personally I would always update spells named without numbers and
created new spell named with numbers only for old needed software. Vice
versa as we do now. We would have last gdm version as spell gdm in
gnome-libs section. Now we have gdm in gnome1-libs, gdm2 in gnome2-libs.
Do we really want next gdm3 in gnome3-libs?

I wanted to update all gnome 3 spell as soon as possible. Really not
now. :-(

Lets discuss. Project lead, grimoire lead, your turn.

--
Ladislav Hagara