sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Project Lead Vote for the remainder of the 2010 term

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Project Lead Vote for the remainder of the 2010 term
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 11:41:26 +0900

Mark Bainter (mbainter-smgl AT trampledstones.com) wrote [11.02.17 01:37]:
> Jeremy Blosser [jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org] wrote:
> > vote" to include a minimum number of affirmative votes required. We
> > didn't
> > intend a system where every developer votes, all but 2 abstain, and that's
> > able to elect someone.
>

> And I for one still don't want that kind of system. I understand what's
> being said about abstain vs no, but in the end, if a candidate doesn't
> have the pull to get enough people to vote +1 who are going to take the
> time to vote regardless to get a majority then they don't really have
> the necessary support to accomplish much in the role they're looking to
> hold.
>
> Even if what Jer said wasn't true though (that we really only have +1
> and abstain, with no actual "no" option) I think there would be a
> significant difference between "no" and abstain, though I agree not in the
> actual vote results.
>
> Specifically, when you look at the results as a candidate if you see
> that most people voted *against* you and few abstained you know that
> there is either something about you or about your ideas that you were
> promoting that some significant portion of the project disagrees with
> and/or doesn't want..
>
> If you have mostly abstains and few if any "nos", then you know that
> you or your ideas just weren't compelling enough to draw support. This
> is very useful feedback, within a certain margin of error. :-)

I think having some means of constructive feedback is a good idea.
However, this also runs into the problem of non-constructive feedback.
We've thus far avoided being a "cliquey" distro, but if we did somehow
drift in that direction then having pure 'no' votes could result in more
mud-slinging rather than constructive representations of "I don't think
your policy reflects where the distro should be going" or some such.
Alas, there is no perfect system, and no matter which we choose there
are some problems.

I do agree though that a candidate not getting a majority simply through
the pure 'yes' votes is probably an indication of not having the support
to accomplish their role, -if- there are plenty of people voting in the
first place. However, it can also be an indication that people don't
care about the role at all, if there are for example 3 candidates with
only 3 'yes' votes, one per candidate, which I believe is the issue
Jeremy wanted to prevent with the current voting policy.

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage