sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Project Lead Vote for the remainder of the 2010 term

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Mark Bainter <mbainter-smgl AT trampledstones.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Project Lead Vote for the remainder of the 2010 term
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 10:36:06 -0600

Jeremy Blosser [jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org] wrote:
> vote" to include a minimum number of affirmative votes required. We didn't
> intend a system where every developer votes, all but 2 abstain, and that's
> able to elect someone.

And I for one still don't want that kind of system. I understand what's
being said about abstain vs no, but in the end, if a candidate doesn't
have the pull to get enough people to vote +1 who are going to take the
time to vote regardless to get a majority then they don't really have
the necessary support to accomplish much in the role they're looking to
hold.

Even if what Jer said wasn't true though (that we really only have +1
and abstain, with no actual "no" option) I think there would be a
significant difference between "no" and abstain, though I agree not in the
actual vote results.

Specifically, when you look at the results as a candidate if you see
that most people voted *against* you and few abstained you know that
there is either something about you or about your ideas that you were
promoting that some significant portion of the project disagrees with
and/or doesn't want..

If you have mostly abstains and few if any "nos", then you know that
you or your ideas just weren't compelling enough to draw support. This
is very useful feedback, within a certain margin of error. :-)