sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Project Lead Vote for the remainder of the 2010 term

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Project Lead Vote for the remainder of the 2010 term
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 11:30:53 +0900

Jeremy Blosser (jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org) wrote [11.02.16 18:42]:
> It's not really a question of interpretation. The words are there, I'm the
> one that originally wrote them and know what I meant, and even without that
> they have a normal meaning in procedural language. Abstentions are "votes
> cast". We require at minimum that a majority of the leads participate and
> a majority of the votes cast are in favor, which means at minimum the
> winner got affirmative votes from a number of developers greater than 25%
> the total number of leads.
>
> If you look at how our full voting policy is written this may be more
> obvious; really, there should not be "no" votes in an election, even with
> one candiate, there should only be that candidate +1 or "abstain":
>
> "Votes MUST be sent via private email to the Project Lead or the Assistant
> who called the vote as an ordered list of the candidates or 'abstain'."
> "Votes require a simple majority (greater than 50% of all votes cast) to
> pass."
>
> So really for this particular vote, assuming the "no"s are interpreted as
> "abstain", the outcome was 13 votes cast, 6 of them for the one candidate
> available.

I see. The problem was that I interpreted your original mail to
represent all abstain votes, not necessarily specific to how they are
interpreted with respect to the particular lead voting process (i.e., I
thought you were also including how they would be interpreted in issue
votes, in which there is both a clear 'yay' and 'nay'). I think we're
both on the same page now, and sorry for the confusion. :)

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage