sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] x86_64 iso install

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] x86_64 iso install
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 14:10:08 +0900

Sukneet Basuta (sukneet AT gmail.com) wrote [10.05.29 15:16]:
> I haven't tested the newest x86_64 iso, but on the previous one I had
> to mark the fs as "okay to run testing filesystems" by doing
> tune2fs -E test_fs /dev/$drive and mounting the drive as ext4dev
> (mount -t ext4dev /dev/$drive)
>
> I believe that was due to an older kernel though.
>
> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Robin Cook <rcook AT wyrms.net> wrote:
> > Well I have my new computer and I am trying to install SMGL on it using
> > the x86_64 iso but I am running into a problem.
> >
> > I partitioned my drive and formatted them ext4, but when I try to mount
> > them I get unknown type when I use -t ext4. When I try ext3 I get
> > couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features.
> >
> > Anyway to get the ext4 partitions to mount with this iso?
> >
> > Robin Cook
> > CuZnDragon

AFAIK, the latest 64-bit ISOs support ext4, but I don't know about our
mount spell. However, did you check whether the ext4 support was builtin
or provided as a module? If it's a module, you'll have to make sure the
module is loaded (it *should* autoload via the mount call, but of course
that won't work for booting a root partition; it sounds like your
problem is during the install and before booting though).

Which of the 64-bit images did you use? There are two: a regular iso9660
image, and a newer, more experimental UDF image.

Also, just to be methodical, how exactly did you format the partitions
(the exact command)? Did you try letting mount determine the partition
type (-t auto, which is the default if you don't specify the type)?

I didn't see a bug filed for this yet (poke poke), unless I'm blind
again. :)

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage