sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] Cross build...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57 AT fastmail.fm>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] Cross build...
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 20:16:59 +0100

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 11:09:37 -0600
Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have pretty old piii machines which don't reach 800mhz (x86_32), and
> I'm planning to build a core 2 duo box @ more than 1ghz (x86_64). The
> thing is that I due to the building times on those old machines, it
> was pretty hard to use any source based distribution. And now I'm
> thinking maybe this has already been solved through cross-compilation
> of some sort, building all the stuff on x86_64. Problem is the
> difference in architectures, :-(...
>
> If possible, then the other thing would be how to migrate the
> cross-compiled image of some sort, from the x86_64 machine to the
> x86_32 ones...

x86_32 is close enough to x86_64 that you can make a pure 32-bit chroot on
your 64-bit machine, the only part of the 64-bit side which needs to be
compatible is the kernel. I use this for a few 32-bit-only applications.

To begin with, once you have your x86_64 machine up & running I suggest
grabbing one of the smgl-tarballs from
http://dbg.download.sourcemage.org/image/official/ . Unpack it and, assuming
$root == the place you unpacked it, issue the following command as root:

linux32 chroot $root

This has sorcery and a base system already set up. You can cast spells and
sync the filesystem with your x86_32 machine... either using rsync or what
might be better is to copy the binary caches from /var/cache/sorcery in the
chroot to your old machine.

A different way would be to set up a 32-bit distcc server (the easy way would
be in a 32-bit chroot), and to configure the old machine to use it. Distcc
can be a great help, I installed Gentoo on a 400MHz machine with a 1.5GHz
distcc server quite painlessly a few years ago.

--
Ethan Grammatikidis

Those who are slower at parsing information must
necessarily be faster at problem-solving.