sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Camel Casing Discussion

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Remko van der Vossen" <wich AT stack.nl>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Camel Casing Discussion
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 15:49:23 +0100 (CET)

> We can mostly localize exceptions in casing scheme by separating by
> children pages. For example, let's say for the future we have an
> e_module-net compile HowTo. We'd have to decide on a scheme for the
> future, but let's say we could put it into HowTo/ChildPage/e_module-net.
> This will increase organization and make sure exceptions are found in
> special areas.

What do you mean by ChildPage? Do you want to have all howtos as
HowTo/NameOfHowTo except for weirdly named howtos which would be
HowTo/WeirdlyNamedHowTos/WeirdNameOfHowTo? That'd just be... well weird...
Or am I misunderstanding you?

> Also, single words with an initial capital are not linked.

That's good, but demonstrates my comment on these kinds of automatic
mechanisms usually being more trouble that they're worth... Gotta love
weird inconsistent setups doing one thing for this case and doing
something else for that case. Personally I'd want to keep it consistent
and seeing as how making every capitalised word a link would be unworkable
I'd rather do without autolinking, but hey, that might just be me...

> Camel case currently only appears in a select few English proper nouns
> at the moment, the most probably being package names. We will probably
> be using the unix name (which is all lowercase) most of the time unless
> it is indeed a page title or other special areas. There's little worry
> for link diarrhea.

The PostgreSQL HOWTO comes to mind, I shudder to think of needing to
escape each mention of PostgreSQL.

And I also found a reason for camelcasing, by chance I found that
searching for worda does match with WordaWordb, but doesn't match with
Worda_Wordb. Though perhaps we would like to change this strange search
behaviour anyway.

Remko van der Vossen.