sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Camel Casing Discussion

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Donald Johnson <ltdonny AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Camel Casing Discussion
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 19:01:54 -0600

I'm going to reply from top-down. This will get lengthy. Apologies.

Remko van der Vossen said:
> What happens if you want a page "XML Usage"? Would we call it
> XMLUsage, XmlUsage, XML_Usage, something else? And what would happen
> with the above mentioned setting? Would XMLUsage result in XML Usage,
> or X M L Usage, something else even? What happens with names beginning
> with lowercase, uppercase, lowercase like iPod, eCos or eDirectory?
> What happens with names beginning with two capitals, like RTos?

So far I've been keeping special casing consistent, so "XML Usage" would
indeed be XMLUsage, and "PRE_BUILD" would be PRE_BUILD if another page
name cannot suffice. So, therefore iPod would get a page name of
"iPod". Also, I believe autolinking only corresponds to a title casing
(i.e. CamelCase vs. CAmelCase), and I have checked on this. This might
be a little disconcerting to the eyes, though, and solutions are indeed
welcome. One solution I can think of off the top of my head would be
using the [[target|text]] syntax (e.g. [[XMLUsage|XML Usage]]).

In addition, it is possible to escape camel cased terms so that they do
not autolink. A style guide for the wiki may be called for in the
future as the SourceMage project grows.

We can mostly localize exceptions in casing scheme by separating by
children pages. For example, let's say for the future we have an
e_module-net compile HowTo. We'd have to decide on a scheme for the
future, but let's say we could put it into HowTo/ChildPage/e_module-net.
This will increase organization and make sure exceptions are found in
special areas.

Keep in mind that redirects can also be used, although I'd be one to say
perhaps redirects be best kept scarce.

Remko van der Vossen said:
> Also when a page is explaining something, say the use of sorcery, it
> would be incredibly annoying if each and every mention of sorcery
> would get linked to another page. Normally you would only want the
> first mention linked. What steps does this mechanism take to avoid
> link diarrhea?

The links don't seem to link themselves when they are already the page
in question. Also, page names, whether existing or not, will be linked
automatically if they follow the camel casing. Anything like
CAmelCasing, as said before, will not be linked, either. And camel
cased words can be escaped by prefixing a bang (!) to them. Also,
single words with an initial capital are not linked.

Remko van der Vossen said:
> Would a namespace not be better for this? Is there perhaps
> functionality provided in moinmoin to provide multiversioned content?

That is definitely a possibiility, especially setting up for the future
when there are a lot of page translations.

Kajikawa Jeremy wrote:
> Two problems, CamelCase breaks where there is many acronyms,
> and the second, the link diarrhea.
>
> as for the multilanguage, that would be better served based on a
> user-select
> of which language they want to use and have the page presented in that
> language.
>
> instead of needing to "mash" namespaces in different languages
> together
> define a "root" namespace and which language that will be than
> translate *everything*
> from that into an equivalent.

Camel case currently only appears in a select few English proper nouns
at the moment, the most probably being package names. We will probably
be using the unix name (which is all lowercase) most of the time unless
it is indeed a page title or other special areas. There's little worry
for link diarrhea. Also, as I will update the proposal for acronyms, I
will propose that proper nouns be kept as close to their original casing
as possible, including a lowercase prefix if it comes to that.

On the translation: That would most definitely work, but if I can recall
sufficiently we wanted to move away from a main-page namespace (i.e.
everything would be SourceMage/Page[...]), though with this in
consideration, it might be wise to rethink this, especially since it
could just be something like English/Page[...].

Wrapping it all up:

My revised proposal is as follows:

We convert the wiki to pure camel casing, but keep the casing given on a
proper noun if given. Spaces will be dropped regardless of noun-type.
A wiki style guide for the future might want to be as written to make
editors aware of the shortfalls of MoinMoin and camel casing. If the
proper noun or term has an underscore or is in other need of one, then
an underscore will be used.

Also, created pages for documentation purposes, such as a HowTo on text
editing should follow camel casing schemes (e.g. HowTo/TextEditing).

Other suggestions:

I suggest we move to work out an arrangment in mind for the future for
translating pages which so far includes ideas of namespace and .

Keep those enlightening points up you guys. There are a lot more
problems and controversy than I have forseen.

~Donald Johnson