sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [hackers] svn Gwydion does not build

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: ron <macroron AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [hackers] svn Gwydion does not build
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 07:25:59 -0500

I wanted to avoid the work of learning bash, to understand the way your system scripts work together.

I was asking why great distros like Source Mage and Gentoo do not make it easier for novices to install, use, and learn about the underlying system and development environment.

Making something easy to use and learn about does not seem to me to be to much to ask.

I would even like to see perl used instead of bash. I can understand that a little better.

In the navy  the equipment came with a complete set of instruction manuals.

That experience made me appreciate good technical writing.

A good instruction manual, not only showing how to work something, but the way it works, is what I appreciate.

The language of instruction man and machine in this case is bash.

Why not use an easy to learn, modern, object oriented, scripting language.

As an example, a subset of perl6 on parrot.

Why do we have to always have to start from scratch?

Aren't there any software translators, man or software to translate from bash to a higher level, easier to understand scripting language.

The term bootstrapping comes to mind.

This is a question I have been wanting to ask for quite a while, and noticed many people have had this question also.

Please feel free to explain to me were my logic is wrong.

I hope I have made myself understood a little bit clearer.

Thank You so much for suggesting the best book about bash scripting. http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html and taking the time to write back.

Ron fl usa Thu Dec 11 07:21:35 EST 2008

--

On Thursday 11 of December 2008 04:51:31 ron wrote:

> My rant was a late night wish meant to humorously provoke.
You should've said something silly like python. ;)

> Can't you see the potential in communicating and teaching Source Mage's
> unique
> bash scripting system contributions, through  block diagrams
You can most likely create block diagrams for any program, regardless of the
language of implementation.

> and an easier to learn, smalltalk like, scripting language.
It may be easier to learn [citation needed], but the number of people that are
already familiar with sh greatly outweighs any such benefit.

> I thought that was a good wish.
>
> I don't learn very well by asking remotely.
>
> I like to learn by book, and hands on, myself, and after I can speak the
> language, then ask others.
>
> That was my only intention that I asked the Magi to ponder.
>
> I take it the Magi want me to learn bash first.
> Your requirements of installing a base Source Mage Linux
>
> learning your way around remotely, with incomplete instructions
>
> learning bash at the same time, as you try to decipher the system scripts,
> seems harsh.
I don't really understand what you want to do. Please explain it in greater
detail, as now I just get the impression you learned something cool and want
to apply that knowledge (to smgl) if it makes sense or not. I'm also confused
by this talk of requirements. A Source Mage system isn't needed for exploring
sorcery.

In case you're interested, the best book about bash scripting is available
here: http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html

LP
--
We cannot command nature except by obeying her.  --Sir Francis Bacon
Have a sourcerous day! www.sourcemage.org