sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [hackers] svn Gwydion does not build

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: ron <macroron AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Dylan Public Development List" <hackers AT lists.opendylan.org>, mehul.sanghvi AT gmail.com, SM-Users AT lists.ibiblio.org, SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [hackers] svn Gwydion does not build
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 23:48:03 -0500

Hello,

That is an excellent idea.

I would like to use Dylan as a scripting language in place of bash scripts used heavily in the Source Mage Linux distro.

Dylan could be used as a way for the experienced Source Mage Linux bash scripter to communicate the meaning of the bash scripts and help translate the bash scripts into Dylan scripts.

I believe translating the Source Mage Linux bash script system into Dylan scripts would open Source Mage Linux to more people and make it easier to understand and use.

I am not a programmer but understand the Dylan programming language the best.

I learned from books.

I would need help installing it on Linux and be comfortable using, programming and scripting with Dylan before I approach the Magi with my proposal.

Any help would be appreciated very much.

Happy Holidays,

-Ron macroron@gmail

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 7:12 PM, Mehul N. Sanghvi <mehul.sanghvi AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Hopefully this is the right place to ask this.
>
> I am running Debian/testing on an x86 system and would like to run Dylan on it.
>  My options seems to be OpenDylan or Gwydion.  I went with Gwydion because I
> had used it at one point in time (years ago when I used to work at Harlequin
> and was trying this out on my system at home).
>
> Unfortunately, it seems that there is no Gwydion for Debian available anymore.
> At least not for Debian/testing (aka lenny).
>
> I downloaded the source code via svn, but when running autogen.sh (I assume
> that is what I need to run after checking out the source), it complains that
> there is no d2c and so I can't build gwydion without it.
>
> My goal is to try and learn Dylan and use it for scripting.  Maybe replace all
> those files with #!/usr/bin/perl in them with #!/usr/bin/dylan.  What is the
> way to invoke Dylan if using it for scripting ?  Apparently I can't do that
> with OpenDylan.
>

> If this is the wrong mailing list, point me to the correct one.
>
> cheers,
>
>     mehul

click on:

[reply] button

check [x] a box:

I like this: Yes [ ] No [ ]

click on:

[send] button

thank you -ron
--
Things you can do from here.

Subscribe to (   ) using Google Reader

go here: http://www.google.com/reader/view/feed/http://(   )?source=email

click on: [Folder settings] button

new folder named: (   )

click on:

[reply] button

check [x] a box:

I have subscribed to this RSS Feed in Google Reader: Yes [ ] No [ ]

click on:

[send] button

thank you -ron