sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Possible new kernel version for test5 ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Possible new kernel version for test5 ISO
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 17:22:09 -0800

Quoting flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>:

My dear Source Mage community,

I am considering updating the kernel version used on the ISOs to
something more recent. However, considering the recent disparate state
of kernel "releases", I'm concerned about how stable a more recent
version would be. Ensuring that 2.6.22 was working the way it should was
a nuisance already, so I'd like to make sure that any version I update
to is known to work reasonably well (and close enough to how 2.6.22
works) that updating to it wouldn't open a pandora's box of new problems
to deal with.

Therefore, I'd like to ask for some feedback from all of you about your
success, and lack thereof as well, with kernel versions 2.6.23* though
2.6.27*. I've read about some issues with almost all of them (though the
2.6.23 series was rather low for such reports). I'm not particularly
concerned with reports along the lines of "version 2.6.X doesn't support
my hardware" if your hardware was simply too new for that version. What
I am really concerned with is "my hardware worked in version 2.6.X, but
was broken for 2.6.Y", where X < Y. Also, if a given kernel version
"works", but is unstable, that's also something to note.

I need as many people to respond about this as possible, for statistical
plausibility.

2.6.27.6 cannot build the r8169[0] driver, 2.6.27.5 could. Talking with Vlad he and I both noticed funky atkbd issues (I don't recall when this started, just "lately") where keys are sent in the wrong order, e.g.
I type: Hello, how are you?
I see: Hello,h ow arey ou?

I thought perhaps my typing skills had just degenerated, but I am not alone! :)

-sandalle

[0] http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=122703112423031

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285