sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] ISO 0.10.0-test4 is released

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] ISO 0.10.0-test4 is released
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 15:10:17 -0400

0.10.0-test4 Released!

Important bug fixes for 0.10.0-test4 over 0.10.0-test3:
* (possibly) correctly boots SATA, SCSI, *and* IDE
* more correctly recognizes devices to boot from during initrd
* ability to override the initrd's detection of boot device
* the directions for making a custom kernel include casting (in
addition to the manual method)
* rp-pppoe and ppp are provided on the ISO for PPP-based internet
access
* parted is now actually provided instead of just listed as provided
* bash is linked against utf8 ncurses (really this time)

Users who experience problems booting the installed kernel are strongly
encouraged try booting with a custom kernel (via the optional custom
kernel step) and to submit bug reports that list:
1. The output of lsmod during the ISO install
2. Whether they are using grub or lilo

Users who experience display problems when booting the installed kernel
(for example, their screen goes black) are advised to append
"vga=normal" to their boot command-line (this can be done either each
time they boot, or added to their boot-loader's configuration).
Alternatively, they can build a custom kernel that does not include
framebuffer support.

Users who want fancier consoles during the install can boot the ISO with
other vga modes. If the user doesn't know what modes are available, they
can try booting the ISO with vga=ask, as shown below:

install vga=ask

As always, we need as many testers as possible for this ISO, with as
diverse hardware as possible. I strongly urge (I'd say "require" but I
don't hold that much sway over others) everyone who tests the ISO to
file bug reports for anything that doesn't work as expected.

* Source Mage 0.10.0-test4 Released! *
* *
* Download it here --> *
* http://download.sourcemage.org/iso/x86/0.10.0/smgl-0.10.0-test4.iso.bz2 *