sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO Build Complexities

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO Build Complexities
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 15:24:01 -0400

Jaka Kranjc wrote [08.09.19 15:14]:
> On Friday 19 of September 2008 21:02:11 flux wrote:
> > > I didn't claim it is the same thing. But if it works nicely, we should
> > > just use it. The press couldn't hurt either.
> >
> > I have no problem with using it. I haven't had time to go through all of
> > his scripts to see how well they can keep with updated ISOs (so that we
> > can automatically generate up-to-date copies of his automatic
> > installer).
> That's for later. If it works, we can release it *now*. I'd like to ask
> anyone
> with spare machines to try it out (see [SM-Discuss] Patch available for the
> test3 iso to transform it into an automated installer iso) and report. As
> far
> as I know it was only tested in virtual machines.
Works != stable. And good luck getting everyone to test it. I have a
hard enough time getting enough people to test the regular ISOs. Also,
AFAIK it was specifically engineered for virtual machines only, which is
probably why it wasn't tested on anything else yet.

> > What "press" are you referring to though?
> ISO release -> press. Especially this dw one.
This is not currently an official ISO. It's a modification of the test
releases I did, and therefore if the ISO it's based on isn't stable,
neither is that one. I'm not doing a stable release of a non-stable ISO
(dw only watches *stable* ISO releases, AFAIK; note that there is no
release news regarding the 0.10.0 series, and therefore releasing
Bertrand's ISO will *not* get us any additional press unless it is
released as stable).

> btw, it is not nice that you include the person's email directly when
> replying.
Email police? :-P Your email is already on the list in the email you
sent...

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage