sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Detection of GNU C++ compiler hangs when compiling gcc 4.3.0

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Detection of GNU C++ compiler hangs when compiling gcc 4.3.0
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 18:56:27 +0200

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 08:39:24AM +0200, Thomas Orgis wrote:
[...]
> PS: When the GCC spells are so tricky with their consistency, would
> it be beneficial to have _one_ gcc spell that optionally installs
> g++, gfortran and the like; replacing g++ depends by sub-depends on
> this one? It would at least ease updates; perhaps even speed up the
> overall build as some synergy of common compile work would come into
> efect?

It was like that originally, but got split so spells could depend on
specific compilers (we didn't have sub_depends back then). When
subdepends were introduced, the decision was to still keep the gcc
spells separate so you don't have to recompile the whole thing just to
add one compiler (especially annoying when you include the long-to-build
frontends like gcj and ada).
Right now I don't have a strong opinion either way, both solutions have
advantages and disadvantages.

http://www.sourcemage.org